[Cross-posted] I read some disturbing news: Hollywood is thinking of remaking Bullitt, one of my all-time favourite ﬁlms, and putting Brad Pitt into the Steve McQueen role.
I don’t have much against remakes. I am looking forward to Life on Mars set in Los Angeles, unlike a lot of my Brit friends who have not been this aghast since the Germans bought Rolls-Royce. I even went to see 2003’s The Italian Job set in Los Angeles, and told my Brit friends who had not been that aghast since the Germans bought Bentley.
I’ve nothing personal against Brad. I like the social causes the bloke is getting into. But even he must be smart enough to know that there will be a certain proportion of Earth’s male population who think that this is sacrilege. We are talking Holy Grail stuff here. And there are more reasons against this idea.
10. Most straight men (and let’s face it, most gay men) would prefer Daniel Craig in the role.
9. The bad guys will not look as menacing in a 2008 Dodge Charger.
8. You cannot re-create the scene where Jacqueline Bisset drives Steve McQueen back into the City on 101 because they would be stuck in gridlock.
7. Because of his personal interests, Brad would spend too much time ﬁlming the architects’ ofﬁce scene.
6. The crew would be distracted when Angelina comes to visit on set.
5. Bullitt and Delgetti would be arrested as terror suspects at San Francisco Airport for leaving their car and running inside.
4. That annoying creaking sound heard on the soundtrack (it’s the noise of Steve McQueen turning in his grave).
3. ‘Hotel Daniels’ on Embarcadero is now the site of the HQ for the Gap, and it would be seriously bad publicity to kill the witness there.
2. The serious risk that Robert Vaughn’s character will be played by Tom Cruise as a Scientologist seeking respectability.
1. No dude who has worn a skirt (Troy) can replace Steve McQueen. Posted by Jack Yan, 12:16
Steve was a "one-off". There will be no Steve again. But if there has to be, Daniel is definitely our man. But if Brad ( oh god ) has to be in Bullitt, then let Daniel play Steve in a bio. Those 2 cud have been brothers when it comes to looks. And they both had/have so much talent.
# posted by Anonymous: 7/22/2007 02:31:00 PM
Well said, Anonymous. I hope that the remake does not happen. I don’t mind seeing Le Mans redone, just not Bullitt. I even gritted my teeth for The Thomas Crown Affair.
I agree on all counts, some things should just be left alone.
Just browsing the internet, very, very interesting blog.
Mr Sirmans, your blog ain’t half bad, either. Thank you for stopping by.Post a Comment
Links to this post:
NoteEntries from 2006 to the end of 2009 were done on the Blogger service. As of January 1, 2010, this blog has shifted to a Wordpress installation, with the latest posts here.
With Blogger ceasing to support FTP publishing on May 1, I have decided to turn these older pages in to an archive, so you will no longer be able to enter comments. However, you can comment on entries posted after January 1, 2010.
Individual JY&A and Medinge Group blogs
DonateIf you wish to help with my hosting costs, please feel free to donate.
Copyright ©200210 by Jack Yan & Associates. All rights reserved. Photograph of Jack Yan by Chelfyn Baxter.